Waste Management Department
- Street sweeping: All kinds of road sweeping inside the ward boundary.
- Removing illegal banner festoon (which are not approved by WMD)
- Giving permission of PCSP (Primary Collection Service Provider)/ door to door waste collection from household /Van services.
- Collect solid waste from domestic, business, hospital, street, public toilets and drains.
- Provide dustbins and other receptacles for accumulating the waste.
- DNCC cleaners clean the roads, drains and sewerage lines.
- Collection and transportation of medical waste.
- Development of hospital waste landfill
- Arrange community meeting for promoting community base solid waste management
- Development of sanitary landfill
- DNCC started community based waste management activities in collaboration with JICA
- Manage the private solid waste management and NGO based solid waste management
Awareness raising activities:
1. Community meeting at ward level
2. Conduct training program for community people for developing the waste management system of their local community.
3. Conduct lots of program like rally and miking distribution leaflet and sticker, conduct cultural program among different community.
4. Conduct Environmental Education program , mobile and model school program to increase the awareness about environment among the student at primary level.
5. Publish quarterly newsletter.
Ward Based Approach:
1. Construction and renovation of conservancy Inspector’s ward office
2. Develop workers manual, safety and sanitation committee.
3. Community based solid waste management activities
4. Develop and introduce new collection system like compactor, road sweeper and modification of existing collection system like arm roll, new type of hand trolley, rickshaw van.
1. Community training
2. PCSP training
3. Drain and storm sewerage cleaner training
4. Road cleaner training
5. PRA, TOT and Advance PRA training for all CIs and Cos
6. Abroad training
Way of Activities
1. Street sweeping: Every day morning cleaners sweeping main roads, alleys footpath and put together the whole waste in a common place. Then bring it to the designated point/dustbin/container by hand trolley.
2. Drain cleaning: Every day a team contains 10 to 12 cleaners send to the different location of ward for cleaning open drain/deep drain/surface drain and storm sewerage line.
3. PCSP activities: PCSP collect the waste from household and storage to the container from 1 pm to 7 pm
Procedure of delivery system of Waste Management work
● Receive complain letter/oral/by phone about different problem from different point
● Conservancy Inspector receive complain from the community people directly
● It may come to the Zonal Executive officer/Zonal ACWMO/ZCO from the community
● DNCC HQ from different organization
● DNCC Control room to the city dwellers/organization
● Different Print media and electronic media
All kinds of complain regarding the waste management
* Conservancy Inspector receive complain different way
* By wireless/radio control device
* By phone
* By office order
* Print media
* Electronic media
* Conservancy Inspector takes action immediately to solve the problem. Inspectors can interchange their views and comments by using the wireless device .Every inspector having a wireless and transport it is more easier and effective way for the waste management works.
1. Improvement of waste management action plan at word level and zone level
2. Improvement of existing collection system
3. Construct transfer station
4. Strengthen the PCSP service
5. Develop strong coordination among the stakeholders
6. Eastablish city network
7. Arrange clean Dhaka contest every year.
Public-Private Partnership of Solid Waste Management
Private Solid Waste Management in Dhaka City is approach for Public Private Participation. Dhaka North City Corporation fully privatizes its conservancy works in Uttara, Gullshan, Banani, Baridara, Mohakali and Tejgaon areas. These areas cover the northern part of the city, like zone 1, 3 the private parties are handling this works very smoothly. The Urban Planning Department introduced this project for the first time. Then the project was handed over to the Waste Management Department of DNCC. The Private parties do the street sweeping. Drain cleaning. Door-to-door waste collection, dustbin cleaning and waste transportation and final disposal
Captain Bipan Kumar Saha, PSC, BN
Chief Waste Management Officer
Ground Floor, Nagar Bhaban,
81, Gulshan Avenue, Gulshan
Phone: 880-2-99851323, Fax : 88-02-8834934.